CDM Smith Presents 2019 Awards in Technical Excellence, Mentorship and Innovation
BOSTON—CDM Smith held its Annual Meeting remotely on April 14, 2020, virtually welcoming direct shareholders of the privately owned firm to an online meeting as we continue to practice physical distancing during the coronavirus pandemic. In addition to celebrating a strong performance in 2019, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Tim Wall announced the winners of CDM Smith’s Annual Awards recognizing outstanding teams and individuals who demonstrate technical excellence, career development and exceptional client service.
Best Technical Paper Awards
The Best Technical Paper Awards program recognizes individuals for delivering technical excellence, advancing the firm as an industry leader, and showcasing our expertise. CDM Smith awards $10,000 each to the primary authors of the best paper in a peer reviewed journal and the best paper in a non-peer reviewed publication.
Senior Vice President Mark Maimone, PhD, PE, DWRE, BCEE, won the Best Peer-Reviewed Paper award for his paper Transforming Global Climate Model Precipitation Output for Use in Urban Stormwater Applications. The paper was published by the Journal of Water Resources Planning and Management.
Jorge Arevalo, PhD, PE, and his co-authors Jonathan Treadway, PE, PMP, BCEE, and Trenton Jackson, PE, won the Best Non-Peer-Reviewed Paper award for their paper Pilot Testing RO to Remove PFOS and other Emerging Contaminants from a Surface Water Supply. The paper was presented at the American Membrane Technology Association (AMTA) and American Water Works Association (AWWA) 2019 Membrane Technology Conference.
CDM Smith also awarded four Honorable Mention Paper Awards with a $2,000 prize attached to each.
The Best Peer-Reviewed Papers winning Honorable Mention Awards include:
- Assessing Rapid Small-Scale Column Tests for Treatment of Perﬂuoroalkyl Acids by Anion Exchange Resin by Dr. Charles Schaefer, Dung (Zoom) Nguyen, Paul Ho, Jihyon Im and Alan LeBlanc
- Flow Distribution to Multiple Treatment Trains and Aerated Grit Tank Improvements in Computational Fluid Dynamics: Applications in Water, Wastewater and Stormwater Treatment by Carrie Knatz
The Best Non-Peer-Reviewed Papers winning Honorable Mention Awards include:
- Implementing the world's largest PAA delivery system in Memphis: performance testing, on-going operations and lessons learned by Brian Hilts and Sarah Stewart
- A decision support tool to increase resilience for the Mouse River Enhanced Flood Protection Project by Michael F. Schmidt, Laurie Locke and Richard A. Wagner
The President’s Award program recognizes outstanding individuals in the areas of Innovation and Mentorship for the prior year. Recipients are nominated by their colleagues across the firm and winners are selected by President and Chief Operating Officer Tony Bouchard from a very competitive field in both areas of distinction. Each recipient of the President’s Awards receives a career development package of up to $5,000.
The 2019 President’s Award for Mentorship was awarded to Senior Vice President Danny Shannon, PE, BCEE, for his generous coaching and mentoring of many colleagues during his nearly 40-year career with CDM Smith.
The 2019 President’s Award for Innovation was awarded to two individuals:
- Senior Vice President Cory Rogers—With more than 20 years of designing and building software applications, Cory created a state-of-the-art technology stack solution that is a leading-edge platform to house CDM Smith products, ensuring rapid and reliable deployment of high-quality solutions such as PipeCAST.
- Principal Zubair Ghafoor—Zubair demonstrated the true spirit of innovation as the transportation industry is transformed by the next generation of data collection and analysis using computer vision and artificial intelligence. Zubair’s initiative, intellectual curiosity and leadership in this field allow us to better serve our clients.
Thomas Camp Award
The Thomas Camp Award—named for our founder—represents the essential integration of client service, technical excellence and exemplary business results. The Thomas Camp Award recognizes the project and project team that best achieves all three facets of excellence.
The 2019 winner of the Thomas Camp Award was the Trap Rock Water Treatment Facility for Loudoun Water, a 20-mgd greenfield water treatment plant in Virginia.
“Congratulations to the Trap Rock Team,” said Tim Wall, “who created a legendary client experience for Loudoun Water by integrating outstanding client service with technical and business excellence in delivering innovative, state-of-the-art treatment technology and an iconic facility that serves as the centerpiece of Loudoun Water’s mission of providing high-quality drinking water to its customers.”
CDM Smith is a privately owned engineering and construction firm providing legendary client service and smart solutions in water, environment, transportation, energy and facilities. Passionate about our work and invested in each other, we are inspired to think and driven to solve the world's environmental and infrastructure challenges.